It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:04 am

IAM Easykart initial carb settings 

Class: TaG
Chassis: Tony kart
Engine: Sonik
Post IAM Easykart initial carb settings
I have a Easykart air-cooled 125cc engine and I'm looking for the base carb settings.. it has high a low air needles unlike some ealier carbs.. The carb is a Tillotson.. Can't get a base setting to get the engine running correctly so I can dial it in.. Suggestions?

Sat May 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Class: Tag Senior
Chassis: Kosmic T-11
Engine: Comet Parilla Leopard
Post Re: IAM Easykart initial carb settings
How long since last carb re-build ? I re-build after winter (A Must Do) then every couple race days. Pop off at about 10psi, arm hight flush with arm well will do for starters if you don't have specs for that carb.
What Tilly is on that engine ? (check EC carbs forum for Engine-Carb settings)
Or start with 2 turns on L & H, (make sure it 4-cycles on high rpm's), tune down 1/4 turn at a time on L to get good acceleration, then tune H 1/8 turn at a time till it stops 4-cycling. Check plug, and inside header for light brown color (like inside of 3 Muskateers candy bar), If plug and inside of header is white it's too lean. Kevin Brown used to have one of those, if you can get a hold of him.

Kosmic/Comet Leopard
greg-wilkinson@sbcglobal.net
614-535-6977

Sat May 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Please note the date. Responding to an 'old 2012' thread, but want to add information that may be helpful for others. I, like gadget, struggle to find information for the same engine. Team Wilkinson information was helpful, it gave me a safe starting point to start with.

The 125cc EasyKart IAME Leopard-based engine came with a a Tillotson HL 334AB. Let me add the following before proceeding. I'm am not racing, just driving the kart for FUN. So my combined driver / kart (total) weight is around 320 pounds. I do not know the weight range of the 125cc engine race class, except that I'm below it. Tracks run so far, 1/7 mile paved banked tri-oval and a sprint 1/4 mile track.

I was fortunate to meet Jeff Wesell this past winter and we have been keeping in touch. He races a 125cc Leopard (water-cooled) engine and uses a 1-1/4 on High and Low speed as the starting points. So, I used those numbers as my minimum values. Currently, the engine is running well at the 1-1/4 settings at the above mentioned tracks and weight.

It will be interesting to see what settings I'll wind up with driving on the Circleville 7/10 mile track in the future.

What I'm lacking and have not found yet. Head temperatures...what is the normal operating temperature range and what is considered the maximum to keep engine safe? This information would be greatly appreciated.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:21 am

Well you say driving for fun. The settings you have now will work for all. I don't know Head temps as we use H20 and exhaust temps. But checking plug and inside header as I said before will tell you what is going on. If those look good, then check your head temp and record your findings and u should be good to go. (I'm assuming u have a head temp sensor) With Race settings of 2 turns low and 1 turn H (where we set ours and don't mess with and is always bad ass fast), the engine will not idle.
Call me anytime and we'll talk about it.

Kosmic/Comet Leopard
614-535-6977

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks for writing and the feedback! Really appreciate the information. Sorry for taking so long to get back.

Plug looks good for the most part, dealing with an intermittent electrical problem that may throw off the reading. Thought resolved as a coil issue. Still have the problem. Found info on the water-cooled Leopard. Now suspected as a battery problem, so replaced it yesterday (6/21). Still have to fire it up. But, from what I read it makes sense. Fingers crossed.

You are correct, I have a cylinder head temperature sensor. Learned what the Yamaha KT100 temperatures run at Fremont (on gasoline), low 400 F range. I'm well below that. Seem to be running in the 240 to 260 F range, unless I spin out, then it spikes up. I do have to take notes. It's tough when you shoot video too (time).

As the day progresses, I have richened the low. Engine does idle at these settings.

I have discussed with Chad Sims about gear ratios for my kart to run at Circleville. I only have the 10t driver sprocket for the 125cc. And, he may be asking around. I think my smallest driven (axle) sprocket I have is 66. I have a variety between the 66(?) and 84. We both like to learn.

Yep! They are a lot of fun. Working on chassis set-up as well. Gain 4 mph (58 mph radar gun) top speed in approach to the 90 degree turn after initial video.

Me, before kart set-up changes...
https://vimeo.com/66982290

Cap Henry, nice young fellow who has been educating me on chassis set-ups. Taking a couple of laps.
https://vimeo.com/68740703

Scott

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:02 am

10-84 gear for Circleville, IAME engines will run without battery, battery is only needed for onboard starter. Leopard has HL334 A/B carb also.

Kosmic/Comet Leopard
614-535-6977

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:51 pm